Wednesday, August 3, 2011

5th avenue finds...

Lower 5th Avenue, between about 22nd Street and 16th Street is what I view as the mall of New York City. All scrunched together on these blocks you can find your favorite chain stores that brought you so much consistency and comfort before you left home for the big, bad city. (Except Nordstrom, sigh.) This is one thing I wasn't totally aware of until I moved here: Most people in NYC shop exactly where everyone else shops. Yes, there are unique boutiques and specialty shops tucked away all over the place, but just like everything else, they're usually expensive. My sweet spot in shopping this city has been to mix the tried-and-true shops I have always loved, with the seriously only-in-NYC awesome thrift, consignment and vintage stores. On that level, I think this city is unparalleled.

I was strolling around yesterday to see what was what in the world (even the most budget-mindful blogger should have her pulse on the retail scene at all times) and if there were any to-die-for fall purchases I should start saving up for. I found that indeed, there are many, many things I desperately want to add to my wardrobe ASAP:

5th Avenue finds

5th Avenue finds

From the looks of it, Fall 2011 is going to be quite the colorful season. I spied hoards of jewel tones and brights, styled together in fresh and surprising looks. At H&M I made my one-and-only purchase of the day - Hooray! Self control! - the mustard dress you see above. It was a whopping $25, and will transition seamlessly from a summer dress to pair with bare legs and neutral sandals to a perfect fall layering piece with black tights, a scarf and a blazer.

From there I traipsed down the block to the newly refurbished J. Crew flagship store. Why I do these things to myself is unclear. I'm like some kind of fashion masochist. I was, per usual, bug-eyed and drooling over just about everything. Their merchandisers are evil geniuses, I'm sure of it. From cozy sweaters to animal print pencil skirts to cool, faded trousers and every manor of button-down shirt, I was absolutely in love with it all. I allowed myself to try on a few things (You see? Masochist.) including the white silk blouse above. In some ways, it's $100 price tag is daunting, but I am thinking of it this way: It's nearly identical to the Equipment blouse of the same style, that costs nearly twice as much (roughly $188), and it's essentially the same fabric. So, J. Crew for the win. That is one investment purchase I'll definitely be making come September.

Madewell usually proves to be a similar story to J. Crew, and on this visit, I was most smitten with their collection of top-zip clutches. They are, admittedly, nearly identical in many ways to the American Apparel version, but with a few added details, and in much more fun fabrics. The pony hair zebra-print one was a favorite, as well as the patent leather blue, which has that Celine look-alike factor.

Zara, oh Zara. A lot of their price points are more reasonable than J. Crew, and their collections are my go-to for chic blazers and jackets, sleek blouses and of-the-moment shoes.

So there you have it. Want, want, want. Need, need, need. Guess I better save, save, save.

No comments:

Post a Comment