Wednesday, July 13, 2011

{outfit post} the nylite project...

About a month ago, I was invited to participate in a collaborative project with Swedish brand Tretorn. Myself and 34 other style bloggers were asked to take a pair of their classic Nylite sneakers and style them up our way.

I've always been a fan of a clean white tennis shoe, from the Rod Lavers I wore in middle school to the Converse All Stars I replaced year after year in high school and college. I had never worn Nylites before, and since moving to New York I've all but abandoned the casual ease of sneakers. When I started dreaming up ideas for how to style these sneaks with an intensely preppy heritage, I wanted to find a way to mix their traditional and sporty look with an outfit that fits into the life of a busy city girl.

The look I ended up with was highly influenced by a recent purchase (and a total steal) from Gap. After seeing Sonia on her blog in this phenomenal floor-length white skirt, I was a woman possessed. I bee-lined for the Gap on 5th Avenue the next day, and to my delight found the object of my affections - at an additional 40% off! I love the weight of the fabric and it's simple cut. Need I mention that it has pockets?

 Banana Republic tee; Gap skirt; Tretorn sneakers; Ray Ban aviators; vintage necklace.

The black and white striped shirt is one you've seen before (here) and the necklace is a vintage chain of coins and pearls that's very special to me. I think the canvas sneakers take away some of the stiffness of such a dramatic skirt, while maintaining some playful elegance. This is something I'd wear for an afternoon beer at The Standard or a barbecue with friends in Brooklyn (yes, I sometimes dress borough-specific). (It also came in handy for the ultra-southern-prep oyster bake I attended in Kiawah.)


Until I put this whole ensemble together, I never would have dreamed of pairing a maxi skirt with tennies. However, I think the heaviness of this particular skirt grounds the look enough so I don't look off balance. Truthfully it's probably more practical to pair them with shorts and mini dresses in the future, but it was fun to play with proportions and imagination for this project.





 (all photos thanks to Gina)

No comments:

Post a Comment