Monday, February 28, 2011

{Oscars 2011} my picks for best dressed...

Ah yes, the Academy Awards, or as I like to call it - the couture World Series. This year brought out many, many seriously gorgeous dresses, and, much like last year, a major lack of crazy. It makes me long for the days of Bjork and her swan. However, in keeping with my standing tradition of skipping the whole 'worst dressed' bash session, I shall now jump head-first into my favorite looks from the 83rd Oscar celebration. Who wants to talk about ugly dresses anyway? So here we go, with my pick for the very, very best dressed of the night:

cate blanchett

Cate Blanchett in Givenchy Couture! This is a very intricate and interesting dress, with cut-outs, architectural shoulders, beading and pleats... And yet. Blanchett makes it look like she might wear this to the grocery store. The fit is impecable on her, not many bodies could look comfortable in this dress. Her hair is just right, she looks elegant and confident - and not the least bit fussy. It's so chic it almost hurts. The best part for me in all this is that I actually hate this color of lilac, but I cannot deny the perfection of this look for one second.

Hailee Steinfeld

Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa. Can you even imagine being a 14-year-old Oscar nominee? How thrilling and nerve-wracking it must be. Steinfeld has navigated the challenges of mixing event-and-age-appropriate red carpet looks with incredible poise. Does she have a stylist? Probably. Does she dress this incredibly chic in her everyday, 14-year-old life? Probably not. Do I care? Not in the least. The top-knot and headband speak to her youth, and the major Louboutins and fantastic cropped length of the dress make it an elegant fairytale look fitting for the occasion.

Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman in Rodarte. This is how to be pregnant at the Oscars. I think Natalie knew she was going to win Best Actress, and definitely saved her best look for last. The color is gorgeous, the fit is flattering, and that's about it. Lovely.

Mila Kunis

Mila Kunis in Elie Saab. Originally, I was not crazy about this dress. I think it's a little complicated, and as I said earlier, I really hate this color. Upon seeing this photo however, I had to reconsider. She just looks wonderful. I think the hair is a little aging, and I wish you couldnt see through some of the skirt panels, but overall I have to give this a "Well-played, Mila." Afterall, the girl went from That 70's Show... to this.

Celine Dion

Celine Dion in Armani Prive. Believe me, I am just as surprised as you are that I am putting Celine Dion on an Oscars best dressed list in the year 2011. But I mean, look at her! The dress fits like the chicest and sleek-est of gloves, her hair is gorgeous and simple, the necklace is stunning, and I am obsessed. I think the restraint and simplicity of this gown are the perfect way to encase her crazy diva woman personality.

Gwyneth Paltrow in Calvin Klein (left) and Michael Kors Fall 2011 (right). She was having her own golden statuette moment, no? Her performance was really only mediocre, but I thought both of these dresses, especially the Calvin Klein, were stand-outs of the night.

Jennifer Lawrence in Calvin Klein Collection. She is a newcomer, and as such, I appreciate that she didn't show up in some kind of wildly poufy ball gown. This is just a really minimal and lovely choice.

Scarlett Johannson in Dolce and Gabbana. I hate that her eyeshadow matches her dress, and I think the look is a little more Globes than Oscars, a.k.a. a bit casual, and yet, here she is. I love the color, I love the lace, I love the fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment