Tuesday, April 5, 2011

playlist: spring break 2011...

That's right, I'm going on Spring Break! Well, sort of. It's a shorter, classier, less Mexico-based vacation than my Spring Breaks gone by, but it is a welcome escape to warmer climes none-the-less.

On Thursday I will be taking off for a long weekend in Phoenix with my closest friends from college. Two of them live there and two were invited to attend a wedding in Scottsdale, so it didn't take much convincing (the power of FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out) to get the last three of us to book tickets.

The last time we were all together was over a year ago, and to say I am excited would be a colossal understatement. Since graduating from college, I have missed the dry desert heat, the shockingly colorful and expansive sunsets and - wait for it - palm trees and cacti. Oh, and being poolside with some of my favorite humans for a few days will be nice too...

In preparation for my exodus from The City, I put together a playlist of old and new songs to get me almost clear across the country and settled happily in a semi-submerged lounger - cocktail in hand - in the middle of a pool; where I will remain for no less than 72 hours. It's mostly upbeat, full of remixes and trendy Hype Machine hits, but sprinkled with some timeless goodies as well.

Miles Fisher - This Must Be The Place
Katy Perry ft. Kanye West - E.T. (Futuristic Lover)
Cults - You Know What I Mean
Joan As Police Woman - Magic
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On
Yelle - Qui Est Cette Fille (Robyn cover)
Dragonette - Easy (Fabian Remix)
Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plan (Michael Brun Bootleg)
Empire of the Sun - Standing on the Shore
The xx - Islands 
Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
G-Eazy - Waspy (Ft. Tennis)
Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun
Peter, Bjorn & John - Second Chance (RAC Remix)
Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
Hercules & The Love Affair - Shelter (the xx cover)
The Bird & The Bee - Maneater (Hall & Oates cover)
Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johannson - Relator
Kanye West - Addiction
JJ - Things Will Never Be The Same Again
Architecture in Helinski - Contact High (Clock Opera Remix)
Lykke Li - Love Out of Lust
La Roux - Saviour
N.E.R.D. - You Know What
SebastiAn - Embody
Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer
Florence & The Machine - You've Got The Love (the xx remix)
Too $hort - Player's Holiday
***
These songs aren't exclusively Spring Break 2011 - they fit the bill just about anywhere you can put on your shades and dance around barefoot for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment