Sunday, June 10, 2012

{summer style tip} shorts x Old Navy...

Sometimes I fear that my blog sends very mixed messages when it comes to fashion budgeting. Sometimes I'm all, "I really need these $420 sunglasses," and sometimes it's more like, "Hey, these $28 shoes are amazing." I think that's just the nature of everyone's personal style, though. It's up to you to decide when to splurge and when to cap yourself at $50 for a cotton shirt.

One thing I know for sure though, is summer is a season I rarely, rarely splurge on. I find that the pieces I wear most during these hot and humid months are ones that I don't want to send out to the dry cleaner after each wearing. H&M and Forever 21 have us covered for the trend-of-the-month items, but my other dirty little summer budgeting secret is none other than Old Navy. You guys, they have the best shorts. The sizing is spot on, they're never too short, and you can stock up on an array of colors and fabrics to get you through every occasion of the season.


Here are my favorite styles at the moment. Classic, cuffed washed out navy shorts for $17? Please! A pair of belted olive shorts to wear with a tucked in silk blouse and espadrille wedges? White shorts and a gingham button down? Do you see where I'm going with this? It's all about the mix. Shorts are meant for running around; for wear and tear, and not to be fretted over. You can build an incredibly chic outfit to fit any style profile around a wildly basic and seriously inexpensive pair of shorts from this oft overlooked mass retailer. (Each of these pairs is $25 or under.)

I'll be trotting over to the Old Navy on 6th Avenue this weekend to pick up a few pairs, and perhaps some fill-in-the-gaps extras like a new bandeau top, a bright tee or some kick-around sandals.

As painful and tear-your-eyeballs-out awful as their television commercials are (remember the 'town gown!?'), I dare you to take a deep breath, bolster yourself with an iced coffee, and consider the delight you'll feel when fall rolls around and you didn't spend $155 on denim shorts you can't wear again for nine months.

No comments:

Post a Comment